June 19, 2012

DIY Burlap Table Numbers


See this detailed tutorial on how to make your own beautiful country style burlap wedding table numbers using homemade stencils by Mette Morgan. It’s really easy and inexpensive - and the end-result is amazing!


 Tools and Materials:

Sheets of normal copying paper (80gsm)
My computer and printer
A retractable blade knife
A pair of scissors
A metal ruler
A protective board (to cut my stencils on)

Black acrylic paint
A household sponge
A small glass lid (covered with saran wrap)
Burlap

I started by making my own stencils. I typed the numbers I needed in a word document and printed them out on normal copying paper (80gsm.) my printer.  I had to make a few test prints before I found the right font and size I liked.

Once all my stencils were cut I was ready to prepare my burlap. I cut one piece of burlap measuring approx. 4x6” for each table number. I then placed my burlap on a protective underlay and positioned my stencil on top of the burlap ready to paint. I used only a little bit of black artists acrylic paint for this project. My numbers measured approximately 2x2¾” so I needed very little paint for each number - less than half a teaspoon for each. To apply the paint I used a small piece of a normal household sponge. You can also use a small brush but I really like the effect the sponge gives and I find it easier to get a beautiful result using a sponge.


When my prints were dry I sewed each of my burlap pieces onto a white piece of folded card stock. I did this so my table numbers could stand on their own on the tables. Once the burlap was sewed onto the card stock  the table numbers were finished and ready to go! I used white card stock but I think black would look really beautiful too!


For the full tutorial go to www.diywedding.org a web site with lots of ideas for a creative wedding!

1 comment:

  1. This is really cool! Do you remember which font you used?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...